Being A Part Of The Local Community

Dear Worlds, 

Today, two fairies entered the shop I was working at on Queen Street West in Toronto. They had recording devices, and wanted to ask me a few questions about how I see my life in Canada today and how I see my future, as part of a project called the Tale of a Town.

The website reads: Capturing the collective community memory of our country's main streets, one story at a time.

The two fairies were actually on the first day of their story gathering workshop for that project, and were learning how to use the devices, and how to record in order to use the documentation to produce a podcast. The Tale of a Town team also produces videos and performances based on all the individual stories. 

I was intimidated, and told them I might not be the best person to talk to, given that I had only lived here for six months, and I was French, and was still on a temporary permit... Of course, they didn't care. They were interested in getting my story because I was part of the life of the neighborhood. Which made me realize I really was! I really am. 

I call them fairies, because they asked me questions that I had been asking myself without coming up with clear answers. They gave me a chance to put it into words and it helped me get a better sense of belonging, and a grasp of my place in the world. 

For someone who came to this country a year and a half ago and moved to this new city recently, it is no small thing!

One of them asked me questions about where I grew up and what made me move to Canada and Toronto. I like that story and I like repeating it every time I meet someone. I like how it both becomes clearer to me and keeps evolving. Repeating it anchors it in my body. My story. 

The other fairy asked me questions about how I see my future, in Canada or elsewhere. Having kids. Getting old. Like, really old. Where I would be. What kind of place. That was interesting. Oh and she also asked me what my biggest fear was. I am curious about what other people reply to that. I said mine was to loose the people I love.

It was also just a super nice interaction with two lovely human beings, regardless of the quality of what they recorded! I will sure keep an eye/ear on that really cool multi-local project. Go browse their website and follow them on Instagram

Do you feel like you belong? What does this project inspire you? Let me know!


Comments

Popular Posts