Meet My Chronic Back Pain

Dear Worlds, 

When the osteopath saw how crooked my pelvis bones were today, just two months after I last saw her, she asked: “what did you do?!”

I had one leg shorter than the other, which isn't usually the case. She told me that kind of thing happened after a bad fall, an intense sport session... I had gone through neither. But I wasn't surprised.

Managing lower back pain for five years and counting has been full of teachings.

I wanted to write a bit about my experience of chronic pain, and I realized there were many aspects that I wanted to share. Instead of doing one long blog, I want to do several posts with precise topics, such as:

* How my invisible episodic disability affects my day-to-day
* Chronic pain and community
* What practices, tools and encounters have helped me
* What I make of the chronic absence of pain
* How to be graceful with people's advice (tough one!) / How to talk to someone with chronic pain
* Asking for help

Things like that. So today, I'm just introducing you to my chronic back pain.

In January 2014, my excellent French-boxing (both arms and legs) teacher went away for two weeks, because she had to train the French equivalent of a SWAT team. (That's how badass she was.) We had a replacement teacher. In two weeks, one student broke another student's rib, and I had three disc protrusions (no hernia), which means that three of my lower discs get out of where they are supposed to be a little.

Since then, it has been a journey.

Last year when I arrived to Montreal, I met a healer/osteopath through a friend. When I told him my back pain was caused by a boxing accident, he told me that the source of back pain was never mechanical. I said... never? He said... never. He told me that if my discs had sort of caved in that specific area (on my left side), it meant that there was already something there that had created tension. And that thing, in my case... was fear. Ta-daaa! 

I might tell you more about that story later, but that was one crucial moment in me understanding more about the different layers of my being.

How is that for a teasing introduction?! I will talk to you soon, 
Take good care of yourselves Worlds,
xo

I got this wonderful Equity Button when I volunteered for the Sick Theories conference in Toronto.

Comments

Popular Posts