Following The (Good) News

Hi Worlds!

This afternoon I was in the dentist's waiting room with my partner, who was on his twenty-fourth consecutive hour of extreme tooth pain. A big screen was playing a news channel that only broadcast horrifying crime or accident news over and over, and sometimes, the weather forecast. 

Thankfully the sound was not too loud. But still, it got to me. I have PTSD so I am particularly sensitive to the recounting of violent events, but this is not just about me. You would think that a place of care - especially as nightmare-triggering as the dentist's office - would provide a stress-free waiting room.

Then, we entered the actual dentist's office.

There was another TV, smaller. Facing the patient lying on the chair. Playing the same channel. And this time, the sound was loud. So just in case a patient is a tiny bit stressed about what's about to happen to them, at least they can relax by learning the unprecedented death toll of this or that event, or the increase of firearm crimes in their city. And by knowing that winter is definitely coming.

I almost said something, but I didn't want to upset the professional who was going to excavate my partner's jaw. When we left though, I did tell the receptionist that it was adding to the stress of coming to the dentist's. She took it personally so I'm not sure my initial intention of them changing the channel for future patients is going to have much of an effect.

It all reminded me though, how much I have made a point of avoiding "the News". For the sake of my mental health. I know it is controversial. Let me explain how, despite my low tolerance for violent news, I try to be an informed citizen of this world.

Here is the good news: GOOD NEWS EXIST! You just have to know where to look.

For instance there is a website, which is also a wonderful newsletter, called Future Crunch. My dear friend Maud introduced it to me a few years ago, and I couldn't be more thankful. Opening their newsletter twice a month always brings me joy and a sense of hope - we can use that. There is always a piece of news that sticks with me and that I share with a friend or two afterwards. Here is part of how they introduce themselves on their website:

"We also curate amazing stories about scientific breakthroughs and good news from every corner of the planet, and send them to thousands of people around the world via our email newsletter and social media.
Our expertise ranges from politics, biology, mathematics and economics, to design, poetry, art and music. We use our diverse knowledge and skills to provide unexpected perspectives on the story of the human race in the 21st century.
Our mission is to foster intelligent, optimistic thinking about the future, and to empower people to contribute to it."

But I am not completely oblivious to the hard things happening in the world or around me. Of course I want to know. But I choose my sources wisely depending on how much I feel like I can take to still be able to go about my day and be of service to others.
Mostly, I get my news from the people I interact with everyday, the people whose podcasts I listen to, the people I choose to follow on Instagram, things like that. They are going to mention a current or past event, and if it draws my attention, I look into it online or talk about it with my friends.

When the last French presidential campaign was happening and I was experiencing severe PTSD, I could not listen to political debates or news about protests. I stayed away from the news as much as I could, because I was trying to survive. But I still had to vote, and to make an informed decision, I asked around. Read things on facebook written by people I trusted. I know it's not ideal, but it's what I could do at the time, and this is what I do now.
I actually find that I have more of an impact in the world, and am more connected to people locally, now that I quit watching news channels, and that I choose my news sources intentionally.

What about you? How do you stay up to date? Any cool websites or other sources you would recommend? Let me know!


Source: Pinterest

Comments

Popular Posts